SAINT, or commonly referred to as the Southern African Institute for Nuclear Technology and Sciences (SAINTS) is a division of iThemba LABS focusing on the provision of education, training, and professional development for students and staff linked in the first instance to iThemba LABS.
Currently, they are inviting academically outstanding students to apply for fully-funded Masters and Doctoral scholarships (in fields of Science and Engineering) to do their research full-time in one of the following fields:
• basic nuclear physics (study of nuclear reactions, shapes, and more),
• applied nuclear physics (study of radiation effects on matter, environmental radiation, accelerator mass spectrometry, and more),
• materials science (materials characterization),
• nanoscience (new materials development),
• radiobiology (studying effects of radiation on the body),
• radiochemistry (development of novel radioisotopes for use in nuclear medicine and more), and
• advanced control systems for accelerator components and detector instrumentation (Engineering, Computer science).
Please note that this call for applications is only extended to South African students.
Application deadline: December 31, 2021
Table of contents
Benefits of the SAINTS @tlabs Scholarships
Other than a full-cost scholarship, successful students will also be sponsored to attend at least one international conference and/or participate in an international research visit during their studies.
Furthermore, a list of available projects and associated research supervisors at iThemba LAB, for 2022, is available here.
Eligibility Criteria for South African Students
In order to apply for the masters and doctoral opportunity, please make sure that you meet the following requirements:
• an above-average academic record, especially for the degree before the one planned to be pursued in 2022
• must be a South African citizen
• must register at a South African University for full-time studies from 2022, and
• must be supervised/co-supervised by a staff member at iThemba LABS for studies commencing in 2022.
How to Apply for a Masters or Doctoral Scholarships
If you’re a South African student interested to pursue an opportunity in Science and Engineering, simply follow the steps below.
To start your application process, e-mail the following documents in one PDF file:
• your up-to-date CV;
• copy of your full academic record;
• copies of all your degree/diploma certificates to date;
• letter in which you indicate your selected research project, your motivation for selecting this project, your choice of institution to register for your studies, and your career goals;
• copy of your ID document;
• two letters of support (one from your current or most recent lecturer/supervisor) ; and the following as separate PDF file attachments:
• copies of any research publications/reports you have authored or co-authored, and
• copies of your dissertation (MSc) or mini-dissertation (BSc (Hons) / BSc (Eng)). to [email protected] by no later than 31 December 2021 For further information contact: The SAINTS Office, iThemba LABS, +27 (21) 843 1411, E-mail: [email protected].
brought to you by Scholarships for Africans
Scholarships for Africans is a premier scholarship information blog committed to bringing more opportunities for Africans globally. They are part of the African Scholar Initiative, powered by Scholarship Hippo.