Berea College is the only one of America’s top colleges that implements a No-Tuition Promise for every enrolled student. The school also has a long history of welcoming students of all nationalities, religious faiths, races, and ethnicities.
Annually, they offer full funding for all of its international students on their first year of enrollment through a combination of financial aid and scholarships. This offsets the costs of tuition, room, board, and fees.
All international students are provided with a paid, on-campus job through the college’s Work Program throughout the academic year. Students may use their wages (an estimated $2,000 the first year) to cover personal expenses.
Furthermore, the institution provides summer jobs for international students to meet the expenses during their subsequent college years. Overall, students are expected to save $1,000 per year.
Admission to the college is competitive, given the number of applications they receive yearly. As such, applicants will need to meet certain requirements to be considered. These include the following:
- Having a strong academic potential and financial need.
- Scoring between 20 and 30 on the ACT (or SAT equivalent)
- Involvement in community service, leadership qualities, and levels of motivation.
- Earning a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.0 in a strong college prep curriculum that contains:
- 4 units of English (including composition, rhetoric, and literature)
- 3 units of Mathematics (at least Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry)
- 2 units of Laboratory Science
- 2 units of Social Science/History (including World History)
- 2 units of a foreign language
Interested students may apply for free online through Berea’s website. Completing the Berea College Application for Admission also serves as the candidate’s No-Tuition Promise Application. Other requirements include:
- High School Transcript
- School Counselor Evaluation Form
- Teacher Recommendation Form
- Official Test Scores
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
For more information, visit Berea’s official website.