The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Program by the Government of Hungary provides overseas students with the opportunity to study in Hungary for free in any subject. This scholarship for international students has the main goal of expanding the number of international students in Hungary and encouraging Hungarian universities to recruit excellent international students. The Tempus Public Foundation is in charge of the program.
Application deadline: January 15, 2022
Table of contents
Benefits of the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarships for International Students
Under the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Program, recipients are entitled to the following benefits:
- Tuition-free education
- exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Duration of candidate’s chosen program:
- Bachelor programs: Fulltime: 2-4 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Master programs: Fulltime: 1.5-2 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- One-tier master programs: Fulltime: 5-6 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Doctoral programs: Fulltime: 2+2 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Non-degree programs:
- Preparatory course in Hungarian language: 1 year
- Other preparatory and specialization courses: up to 1 year
List of Eligible Countries
For full-time programs, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, Oriental Republic of Uruguay, Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia (FYROM is used at OSCE, UN, CoE, EU and NATO fora), Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Israel, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States.
For partial study programs, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of India, Republic of Korea, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States.
Eligibility Criteria Set by the Government of Hungary
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships)
- former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor, master, doctoral level) including both full time and partial study programs
How to Apply
To start your application process, click here to open the online application interface. All applications shall be submitted through the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation. After registration, the applicants are able to access the application system and upload the required documents. Click here to visit the online registration interface.
Other helpful guides and instructions for your Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship application can be found below:
Dos and Don’ts – Click here to find out how to prepare your application and the supporting documents for submission so they meet all the requirements.
Checklist of application documents – Click here to see the application guide, documents required for application and the submission deadline to each type of scholarship.
Medical certificate – Click here to download the mandatory medical certificate form.
Scholarships for Africans is a premier scholarship information blog committed to bringing more opportunities for Africans globally. They are part of the African Scholar Initiative, powered by Scholarship Hippo.