Minnesota State University, Moorhead (MSUM) is offering scholarships in the USA for African students and other international students who want to take up an undergraduate degree program. For the academic year 2021-2022, the university aims to make US education more visible to foreign countries.
There has been a recent influx of scholarships in USA for African students. However, what makes MSUM stand out is its well-rounded community. The institute promises its students the opportunity to discover their passions. On top of that, they also offer the rigor to develop intellectually and the versatility in shaping a changing world.
MSUM has automatic scholarships for incoming international students who want to study in the USA. Once the university accepts the student, the automatic grant will take effect. Awards vary depending on their academic profile.
Consequently, this scholarship is available to international students pursuing their first MSUM undergraduate degree.
In addition to automatic scholarships awarded through the admissions process, the Minnesota State University Alumni Foundation offers scholarships. Alumni, businesses, friends, and foundations serve as benefactors to incoming, current, and graduate students. Many of these scholarships are available through individual departments, colleges and programs.
Eligibility of African Scholar and Other International Students
Students applying for a scholarship need to meet eligibility criteria such as the following:
- Applicants must be full-time students at MSUM. In addition, scholarships require 12+ credits per semester unless otherwise noted in the application criteria.
- International students must maintain a 2.0 GPA and contribute 10 volunteer hours to MSUM and/or the Fargo Moorhead community in order to receive the scholarship beyond the first semester.
- Conversely, renewable scholarships may have GPA requirements, but do not require annual applications. Automatic scholarships are awarded for the semester and/or year specified or until the scholar graduates, whichever comes first. Failure to meet eligibility requirements may result in the loss of scholarship funds.
- Scholarships are not transferable to another institution. To add, federal regulations prevent a student from receiving financial aid. These include scholarships, that exceed the university’s cost of attendance. On the plus side, MSUM adjusts financial aid awards in some instances.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
In order to land a coveted spot for the awards, applicants must follow these steps:
- To start, prospective scholars need to be admitted to MSUM before they can apply for scholarships. Check MSUM’s application webpage for more details on US studies for international students.
- Use the scholarship search page or check department and academic program pages to see what scholarships are available.
- During the scholarship application period (October 1 – February 1), log in to the online scholarship application using the given StarID and password.
- Next, complete the essay questions.
- NOTE: Some scholarships may require applicants to attach supplemental application materials.
- Finally, submit applications before February 1.
Been accepted by a US college already? Study in the USA sooner. READ MORE: Start securing your student VISA.