Japan consistently ranks in the top 10 countries for education. For this reason, many international students have been considering completing a degree in the said country.
Through the MEXT Scholarship, studying in Japan can be made more affordable. Read on to learn more.
The MEXT Scholarship is an annual scheme that supports foreign students who want to study in Japan.
Sponsored by the Japanese government, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Scholarship is geared towards learners intent on pursuing higher education institutions as recommended by the Japanese embassy.
For grantees who studied at a preparatory educational institution prior to enrolling in a university, the scholarship period will last for five years.
This time frame already includes a one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan.
Meanwhile, for scholars majoring in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, or a six-year course in pharmacy, the scholarship period is extended to seven years.
Benefits of the MEXT Scholarships
Detailed below are the benefits covered by the MEXT Scholarships for successful applicants:
- Allowance: A budget of 117,000 Japanese yen shall be given to scholars per month. In addition, scholars studying or conducting research in specially-designated regions will receive an added supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 – 3,000 yen.
*PLEASE NOTE: The amount of payment may be subject to change each fiscal year, depending on the Japanese government’s budget.
- Education fees: MEXT is responsible for paying the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition fees at the scholar’s chosen partner university.
- Travelling Expenses: MEXT will stipulate the travel schedule and route, as well as provide an airline ticket to scholars who will arrive for study in Japan during the agreed upon period.
The airline ticket will be an economy-class ticket from the international airport closest to the grantee’s residence to an international airport in Japan used on the normal route to the accepting university.
Meanwhile, domestic travel from the scholar’s residence to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within Japan (including airline transit costs), travel insurance expenses, carry-on luggage, or unaccompanied baggage expenses shall not be shouldered by MEXT.
Eligibility for Study in Japan
In order to be qualified for a MEXT Scholarship and study in Japan, interested applicants must first meet the following conditions:
- Nationality: Applicants must come from a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Age: Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1997. On another note, applicants who meet the Academic Background conditions must be 18 years old and above at the time of admission to a Japanese university.
- Academic Background: Applicants must meet one of the following Academic Background conditions in order to be considered for the opportunity:
- Individuals must have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
- Applicants must have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan.
- Aspiring scholars who have successfully passed an academic qualification examination that is equivalent to the completion of 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
- Lastly, applicants must be eligible for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
How to Apply
To start your application process, please head over to the official webpage for the MEXT Scholarships.
brought to you by Scholarships for Africans
Scholarships for Africans is a premier scholarship information blog committed to bringing more opportunities for Africans globally. They are part of the African Scholar Initiative, powered by Scholarship Hippo.